(Redirected from Managing Sessions)
- login - prompts the user for username and password.
- nohup - Prevents programs from getting killed on logout.
- rlogin - enables you to establish a user session on another computer connected to the LAN. Deprecated, safety-hazard. Use ssh instead.
- screen - Terminal multiplexer. This is somewhat like a virtual terminal, only much more powerful.
- shutdown - Shuts down the system.
- startx - This shell script, enables you to start a X session.
- tty - Displays the number of the terminal device that is currently in use.
- xdm, kdm, gdm - Starting the X (KDE, Gnome) Display Manager
- xterm - Starts the xterm terminal emulation program. requires the X window system.