Set up a printer
(Redirected from Set up a local printer)
This article describes how to set up a local printer, i.e. a printer that is attached to your desktop. We will use cups as printing system.
Connect your printer
- Connect your printer to power
- Connect your printer to your computer
yast2 -i cups
Start CUPS by opening a console and typing:
You can make this start persistent by configuring runlevels.
- You see a headline with "Common UNIX Printing System"
- Choose Administration -> Add Printer
- Enter name, location and description to your choice
- Choose a device, e.g. "HP Officejet 6100 series"
- If your printer is not listed
- If your printer is not displayed, check the cables or update cups.
- Choose a model, e.g. "HP Officejet 6100 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.0.2 (en)"
- Click on "Add Printer"
- Enter your root password
Test your printer
- In the brower window, choose Printers -> Print Test Page
- A test page should appear from your printer
- In your console, start kwrite, write a text and print it