Linux Newbie FAQ
For the content of this Wikipage, the rough definition of a Linux Newbie has been:
- "Someone who has recently been introduced to, has started using, or has yet to use, Linux".
The question/answer process of this page is designed toward the goal of "How do I DO stuff in Linux?", Not "What is Linux?". If you have a question that you think is common and should be added to the page, please plunge forward.
- 1 How can I dualboot different Operating Systems on my computer?
- 2 Which distro should I use?
- 3 Where can I find Linux software to replace my Microsoft software?
- 4 What Antivirus/Firewall software should I use for my system?
- 5 How do I get/install Multimedia Codecs?
- 6 How do I defragment my filesystem on Linux?
- 7 Where can I get books or guides to learn more about using Linux in general ?
- 8 Where can I get more information regarding a specific distribution?
- 9 See also
- 10 External links
How can I dualboot different Operating Systems on my computer?
You should check guides specific to your distribution first, to see if they have instructions that may better suit your system.
- install Linux on a USB disk
- Dual booting
- Be sure to see the links on that page.
Dual Booting Macs
Which distro should I use?
Where can I find Linux software to replace my Microsoft software?
What Antivirus/Firewall software should I use for my system?
How do I get/install Multimedia Codecs?
See Installing Codecs.
How do I defragment my filesystem on Linux?
Where can I get books or guides to learn more about using Linux in general ?
- Linux for newbies (en.wikibooks.org)
- Introduction to Linux, a hands on guide (www.tldp.org)
- Loads of unsorted links for beginners (loll.sourceforge.net)
- List of Linux books, beginners section (en.wikipedia.org)
- Where to find documentation
- Sectioned guide on learning to do specific tasks with Linux.
Where can I get more information regarding a specific distribution?
You can find more information on a respective distro here:
- Linuxintro - What Linux can do for you and how to accomplish it.
- Common Questions and misconceptions - A page explaining many random topics.
- Liveliest and most useful GNU/Linux places - You are new to the GNU/Linux world and want to have a feel for what it's all about ? Search no more !
- Ideal Linux System for Newbies?
- A slashdot Discussion dated Tue Dec 26 2006