There is a good article on LinuxQuestions.org on Playing DVD and videos. Most DVDs sold are encrypted, meaning you will not be able to play them out of the box on Linux. But the libdvdcss package will do the trick for you. Pick it up from RPMFind here.
Note that installing free decoding software on your computer can be illegal and entirely your own decision.
- plays avi files. Part of avifile project.
- Helix Player/RealPlayer
- cross-platform media players with full SMIL support
- an amazing video and DVD player.
- is a branch of the well known mplayerhq which is based on the new (thread based) core.
- a DVD-only player for Linux and BSD environments.
- the GNOME video and DVD player.
- Videolan Client, a cross-platform multimedia player.
- a multi-format video and DVD player.