Connecting with the kppp program
- Search your ISP's site for their DNS address, or ask them for it.
- Run kppp. Click the 'Setup' button, then the 'New' account button, then click 'Dialog Setup'.
- Choose a name for the connection, and enter the phone number. Enter the username and password. Select the method of authentication (PAP/CHAP/script-based/terminal-based).
- Click the IP tab. The 'Dynamic IP Address' should usually be right for you, and should be selected.
- Click the DNS tab. Add the DNS IP address of your ISP.
- Click 'Ok'.
- Click the Device tab and check/set your connection speed - this is the speed of the serial port, not the modem. You can often set it up to 115200 or more.
- Click the 'Modem' tab. Select your modem device. Click 'Query Modem' to check if you picked the right device. The modem should give you some info about itself.
- Click 'Ok'. Enter your username and password. Click 'Connect'.
If modem dials but doesn't connect:
Try different methods of authentication. Using terminal-based lets you authenticate manually (you enter the username and password right when the ISP asks). You can then make a script customized to what the ISP does and used script-based authentication.