LibreOffice is an office suite intended to be compatible with MS Office. It is a fork of OpenOffice.org, which was itself forked from StarOffice. All LibreOffice components use the open source OpenDocument formats, which are zipped directories containing plain text files for both content and formatting. The formats are similar in some ways to Microsoft docx.
LibreOffice contains the following components:
- Write: a word processor similar to MS Word
- Calc: a spreadsheet program similar to MS Excel
- Impress: a tool for creating and running presentations, similar to MS Powerpoint
- Base: a database program similar to MS Access, but with the added ability to act as an interface to external SQL databases
- Draw: a vector graphics program
- Math: a program for creating mathematical formulae.