Priming your computer for gaming
So you want the most juice out of your system!? Well I know some tricks up my sleeve that I believe will help you out. I play UT2004, and to get the best frames per second I needed to make sure nothing else was hogging my system resources. It goes like this:
- Download overclocking software for your graphics card.
- Kill all running services (/etc/init.d/servicename stop)
- Kill all running apps (su && killall whatever)
- Get a low level GUI (aewm; apt-get install aewm)
So right now you would do something like this:
- CTRL+ALT+Backspace to get out of your current GUI.
- cd ~
- vi .xinitrc then type in something like: exec aewm
- Right-click the desktop to open xterm
- ps aux to see all running apps, su to root, and kill as many as you can. Kill the services before individual programs.
- Start overclocking software for your graphics card.
- Start the game! Make sure the game is at the lowest settings and lowest resolution (640x480).