PuTTY is a free SSH and Telnet client for Windows, but is now also available for UNIX systems including Linux. It is small and includes a terminal emulator, which makes it ideal to use when you're stuck on a Windows machine, but need to access your Linux machine.
Besides PuTTY, there are also several companion tools available:
- PSCP -- PuTTY Secure Copy, a SCP client.
- PSFTP -- PuTTY sftp client
- Plink -- PuTTY Link, command line interface, useful in scripts
- PuTTYgen -- generate SSH public and private keys
- Pageant -- SSH authentication agent for PuTTY, PSCP and Plink
- pterm -- PuTTY's terminal emulator for UNIX