Set up a network printer using SMB
This article describes how you can set up a network printer using Samba. Let's imagine you have two Unix boxes and want to share your printer on the server, let's call it server, to the client client. The most basic setup is posted here.
- install Samba on the server and the client
- on the server, modify /etc/samba/smb.conf:
[printers] comment = All Printers path = /var/tmp printable = Yes create mask = 0600 browseable = No public = Yes
- on the server, check your configuration:
- on the server, start Samba:
- on the client, look for a connection to the server:
$ smbclient -L server Password: ... Sharename Type Comment --------- ---- ------- ... printer Printer printer ...
If that does not work as expected, look that your firewall is down on the server.