Virtualize your computer
(Redirected from Turn your physical computer into a virtual one)
Imagine you want your laptop to run in a virtual machine, maybe because you want to try some changes, maybe because you want to sell it. That's what this article is about. Your notebook can be on Windows or Linux, no matter.
- Boot the computer you want to virtualize from usb or from knoppix.
- Use a USB disk to store an image of your computer's hard disk:
dd if=/dev/sda of=/hdimage.img
- Download and install vmware on your host computer.
- use qemu-img from the qemu package to transform your harddisk image to a vmware image:
qemu-img /mnt/usb/hdimage.img -O vmdk /hdimage.vmdk
- you can now use your vmware image to boot your virtual guest computer.