In order to play under Linux, you can:
- Play open source games that are available for Linux.
- Play with a native game, i.e. a game that has been written for Linux (See list).
- Use Steam for Linux. Currently, it works only on Ubuntu.
- Games from GOG (Good Old Games) have native linux ports.
- Use Crossover for Linux to run Windows games on Linux.
- Use Wine, which allows to run Windows applications and games under Linux.
- Use Lutris to easily install Windows games and many other platforms on Linux.
- Use PlayOnLinux
- Buy Humble Indie Bundle which is compatible with Linux now.
- Use game emulators such as DOSBox, MAME, MupenPlus64, PCX2, PCSX-R, Higan (thanks to this), ePSXe, Retroarch, Lakka, Kodi
- Use Java Webstart to install cross-platform games very easily.