How to run ekiga
To launch Ekiga in a terminal type :
a new window will appear.with four tags 'Talk Edit Show Help
if you do not have a SIP address
in the main ekiga window, click on the edit tag and then on configuration assistant
- give your name (ex : John Doe)
- next give your username (ex : doe) and password
- click on I do not want to sign for the ekiga.net free service
- follow the blue link get an ekiga.net SIP account from ekiga registration page
- fill the page, accept and submit.
- You will receive a mail with your sip account (sip address) (ex : email@example.com) and password.
when you have a SIP address
check your configuartion using the echo test
- in the main window click on tag show then on Services and echo test.
- you can tune your microphone and speakers using alsamixer and kmix and by clicking on the small sound icon in the right part of the ekiga window.
You can directly enter the echo test sip address sip:firstname.lastname@example.org at the top of the ekiga window
Right-click on the mouse on call fonction to set up the connection.
ask your correspondant to get a SIP address
- To be connected with a correspondant, this person must have its own SIP address (ex: email@example.com)
- You have to ask for this address. If he or she does not have yet a SIP address he or she has to use the same procedure as upper from its computer and its own ekiga installation to get one.
when you and your correspondant have both a sip address
Alternatively, you can use the call history page in the show tag.
Ekiga is very lunatic :
- very often you will get error messages instead of a connection. In that case, kill it and restart it.
- sometimes if your correspondant can't call you, try to call him instead !