A useable example desktop
This is an example for setting up a useable desktop. We have reproduced it step-by-step and checked that it allows you to:
- Play multimedia files, audio and video, and even those in the wmv video format
- Play DVDs, even those with DVD menues
- Surf the web, even watch and listen to youtube videos
- Write an essay, even save it as Word Document
... and much more, see the table of content.
For the distribution, this example uses SUSE Linux 11.3. Flash Player is included with firefox and works out of the box. For other pros and cons, see distro comparison. This has been tested with SUSE Linux 11.3.
- Install SUSE
- Test that your keyboard works
- Test that your mouse works
- connect to the net
Some useful settings
alias lsdirs=ls -d */
- to your /etc/profile.
- When doing ssh, you want the ability to do X11 forwarding with openSSH, so make sure your /etc/ssh/ssh_config contains a line
- You may want to switch off the system beep and enjoy the newly-gained silence in your office.
Make sure sound works
- Test that your sound works: open a console and type
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/dsp
- If it does not work, follow the instructions at sound troubleShooting.
Make sure the printer works
- Test that printing works. A printer is installed automatically during a default installation. This is valid for well-known printers. If yours is not installed automatically, call
Make sure the scanner works
Do a test scan using the SUSE setup utility:
Make sure you can burn a DVD
See if you can burn a DVD, see CD/DVD burning.
Play multimedia files
Main Article: mplayer
yast -i subversion
- Install the software to build mplayer:
- Download ("checkout") the mplayer sourcecode:
svn co svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer
- Build mplayer:
cd mplayer ./configure --enable-gui && make -j8 && make install
choose Software -> Repositories -> add -> Community Repositories -> VideoLan Repository -> Import key -> Finish
yast -i vlc
To play a DVD, create a user:
useradd -m kino passwd kino
Log out from your display session (CTRL_ALT_BACKSPACE), login as kino, open a console and enter
Choose File -> Open Disk
Surf the web
You will be able to watch videos on youtube. Everything is all set.
Write an essay
To be able to scan, you need to initialize your scanner:
If you need a calculator quickly, type ALT_F2 and enter
Read PDF files
We choose Acrobat reader to view PDF files. To install it, enter
yast -i acroread
Packing and unpacking files
Main article: Packing and Unpacking Files
This article recommends ark.
Audio Volume control
This article recommends KMix.
Main article: text editors
This article recommends kWrite.
This article recommends konqueror.
Use a digital camera
Main article: use a digital camera
To get your photos from your digital camera, use digikam.
Use a camcorder
Main article: use a camcorder
Talk to friends online
Main article: Talk to friends online
Listen to webradio
Follow the instructions at webradio.
Run Windows software
Main article: Running Windows SoftWare